For an album named Subconsciously, the sixth studio album from South African DJ, producer, and artist Black Coffee is one created with a clear purpose in mind: freedom.
Through open, stripped-back productions where lyrics and mood take center stage, he weaves his way out of traditional dance and electronic artist expectations—and even those of an African artist—into a space that’s more melody- and mood-driven than any of his previous LPs.
“The main event for me on the album is the sound,” “On my previous albums I would sit down with an artist and we’d discuss what we’d want to write about. This time, I relied more on the singers and songwriters. I want the melody to be right. Then the lyrics can follow.”
After releasing almost every track on its own ahead of the official album release (“Because people miss songs sometimes if you just drop an album”), here, Black Coffee offers up a track-by-track guide through his latest genre-bending body of work.
Stream ‘Black Coffee Subconsciously Album‘ below;
Check out more songs from Black Coffee on NaijaVibes;
- Black Coffee – You Need Me ft. Maxine Ashley, Sun-El Musician
- Black Coffee – 10 Missed Calls ft. Pharrell Williams, Jozzy
- Black Coffee – LaLaLa ft. Usher
- Black Coffee – Ndod’emnyama ft. Samthing Soweto
- Black Coffee – Music Is King EP
- Black Coffee, David Guetta – Drive ft. Delilah Montagu
- Black Coffee – Your Eyes ft. Shekhinah